Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pole or Fleece

Let's back up a little, shall we?

I know, a pillow form covered with a cut-up sweater. WTF? Not a particularly impressive First Project, and certainly not challenging. But it was quick, I had the materials handy, and I was out doing things the first two days of January. Literally. Remember the spontaneous New Year's Day I wrote about? And Jan. 2nd was full of family, fun and work as well. After visiting with my dad and stepmom, I had a first read-thru for my next theater project. I met the cast and took measurements, then I was off to my pole-dancing fitness class. Yes, I said pole-dancing. A 40-something mom and wife, pole-dancing.
In fact, it was a room full of 30-something and 40-something moms and wives, trying to do cradle spins and body rolls. Turns out, I'm pretty good at spinning myself around a pole; hauling around heavy costumes has given me a fair amount of upper body strength!

All of this is to say, I wasn't home much these first two days of 2012. So, yeah, I needed a quick starter creation, or I might have procrastinated myself right out of my year-long goal. Which would have defeated my resolution for 2012, and just started a downward spiral of self-loathing, apathy, drinking alone at 10 a.m....okay, you get the idea.

BUT - I did create a lovely red velvet shrug on Dec. 31, as a little birthday present to myself. I could have started my year of creations with the shrug, but that felt like cheating, and I didn't want to set the bar too high at the beginning. I had planned to wear it on New Year's Eve, but decided to go more casual, style-wise. Also, we didn't make it out to a party, so there's that.

I'll premiere the shrug at an opening night party, probably. I have three plays opening in February, and red will be the perfect choice, especially with an LBD. As for what I made today: a fleece throw. Again, easy-peasy, but necessary during Minnesota winters.

I purchased this fabric a few years ago, and came across it again the other day, just as I was thinking about my 2012 project. It seemed serendipitous. And my youngest is enjoying its warmth this evening.

Note: As a costume designer, some of my posted creations will be for plays that I work on throughout the year. There will be projects more exciting than a pillow cover, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment