Sunday, March 11, 2012

Who's dead?

Actual conversation at my house tonight, whilst reading The Bloggess:

ME: Isn't Ray Bradbury dead?
J: I... don't know. Alot of these sci-fi authors are either really old or dead.
ME: He created Star Trek, right?
J: No, that's Gene Rodenberry.
ME: Ohhh, that's who I was thinking of. Score one for the Bloggess.
J: (checking the interwebs) Ray Bradbury is 91 years old. And he hates the internet. He thinks it makes people unable to carry on conversations. And cell phones. He thinks there are too many machines in the world now.
ME: *laughing loudly* That's pretty ironic, isn't it?

I don't read a lot of science fiction, so if I'm wrong about Ray Bradbury, I apoloqize to his fans. About the machines comment being ironic, I mean.

However, I've recently been introduced to Terry Prachett. Him I like. I've been listening to audiobooks of "Nation", "Night Watch", "The Fifth Elephant", and just started "Equal Rites".  They make time in the work room or costume shop fly by. Seriously, check out his Discworld books.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, you discovered Prachett!! I did a production of Mort last summer at Mounds Theatre, and I'll be doing another Prachett there (Maurice and his Educated Rodents) in April/May :) They are fun books to read!

    ReplyDelete